Friday, December 24, 2010

How a Libertarian Rolls

I love Egg Nog. For me, it's the gastronomic pleasure of the season. I wait all year and enjoy it for just a few days around Christmas just to keep it special. Well, I went out this year to buy some 'Nog, but much to my chagrin, I could find only corn syrup-based 'Nog. I don't know what happened, here. Last year I was able to purchase egg-based 'Nog. Is this the corn lobby taking over the 'Nog industry? Not being in the mood to care, I had two choices. Go without 'Nog, or make my own. Actually, there's a third choice, but it would take awhile - lobby my local politicians to ban corn syrup from Egg Nog.

But I'm a libertarian, so I made my own. That's how I roll. If I can't find what I want, I find a way to make what I want, or I find somebody who can. I have yet to fail. Maybe I don't want complicated things. What I don't know, and would never do, is use political power to get my way. I know - I'm making a big deal over Egg Nog. Well, maybe Egg Nog is just that big of a deal. Or maybe metaphors are awesome.

Merry Christmas to all!

P.S. The 'Nog is awesome.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, am a seasonal fan of the egg nog, but I must inform you that this delicious drink takes second place to its fairer cousin, boiled custard.

    Like you, I cannot find boiled custard here in Texas. And like you I refuse to go crying to the government for my cause. Unlike you, I doubt I will make my own. Once I know what's in it, I probably won't crave it any more.

    That being said, I'll raise my glass of New York Riesling and toast: Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boiled custard, eh? I'll look up the recipe and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like eggnog too! Although I often dilute it with milk and have it with a piece of cake.

    Does anyone go complaining to the govt when they cant get eggnog? Never heard of it, but if I did I'd tell them to complain to their grocer or get a life.

    Boiled custard? Never heard of it but it sounds good I think. I like frozen custard.

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete